GLACUHO News
Calendar

2/9/2019 » 2/11/2019
2019 Winter Meeting for all Committee and Leadership Team Members

2018 GLACUHO Book Club
Page 1 of 1
Forum Actions

Topics   Replies Score Author Latest Post
Week 3 (Part III): June 20th 4 K. Johnson, University of Indianapolis 4. The entire 6th chapter es\\s helping me get my life! I am working with a difficult staff member and a lot of the steps that Alison took in this chapter were helping me to see what I did right and what I need to improve upon. I can see situations that I have been through with a staff member and how I took a step or thought about that step a little too late, in the moment but didn't do it because I thought it might be too much or was right on the money but may have been to much to say/do in an intense moment. I think that Alison coached Hank a lot to get him where he needed to go to be successful. I am working to figure out how these steps will be useful in my next year. The start of chapter 7 starts talking about moving or improving and funny enough before I started chapter 7 (as I finished chapter 6) I was thinking about how this very idea factored into how Alison was coaching Hank. This entire section will be so key to keep in mind for me as a supervisor and I am trying to determine how to keep these thoughts at the forefront of my mind for continued use, not just during evaluation/performance review season
by C. Marshall, School of the Art Institute of Chicago
Tuesday, July 3, 2018
Week 2 (Part II): June 13th 5 K. Johnson, University of Indianapolis 4. This has definitely been a challenge for me this year as I transition from supervising RAs to fill time professionals. I dont give feedback as often as I should and my folks have mentioned this to me. Its now evaluation time and I find that if I had provided the feedback more frequently then I wouldnt have a difficult time trying to remember all of the good, bad, and improvement that happened during the year. I am seeing that this helps them but also me too as I can provide more guidance with ways to improve throughout instead of just during evaluation/performance review time. Feedback is my opportunity to assist them in their development year round not just certain times during the year. Per Lauren: I have a staff member now who has the compliment sandwich. So I remembered that when I was giving a piece of feedback. When I did not use the compliment sandwich, they only focused on what I didn't say they did well. I was so perplexed as to why this was contradictory to what was asked of me because the direct approach they wanted, was not well received when they got it.
by C. Marshall, School of the Art Institute of Chicago
Monday, July 2, 2018
Open Forum 4 K. Johnson, University of Indianapolis Unfortunately, Chapter 7 is not relevant to my institution's system for certain employees in positions longer than six months. After a six-month probation period, it is nearly impossible to remove someone from a civil service position. A person would have to flat out steal and get caught red-handed or physically attack another person for removal. We have third and fourth options: Transfer to Another Department Across Campus and Hope for Early Retirement.
by K. Shelton, Northern Illinois University
Thursday, June 28, 2018
Week 4 (Part IV): June 27th 1 K. Johnson, University of Indianapolis 3. I love the quote on page 202, "Some good managers believe it is a badge of honor to be tired and stressed, as it is an indicator of how hard they are working. Meanwhile, the exceptional leader is like organized lightning, with both a calming presence and an intensity that raises the whole energy of the situations they engage." Similar to the previous chapter where those who fight fires tend to be the ones who receive the spotlight, those leaders who make a show of always working seem to be the ones people think of as the most effective leaders. However, as the book points out, leaders who do not take care of themselves cannot hope to lead with their best potential. It is important to block out time for activities that energize yourself so you can give back to the team. Page 201 begins a list of 4 suggestions to master ownership of your energy levels. When looking at this list, I found that I typically did number 1 and 4- doing things that energize you and give yourself the gift of empty spaces. For me, I get my energy back through walking dogs with the local animal shelter and reading books for fun. These times for me are put onto my calendar and are treated as a priority in my life in order to give me balance. However, these energy builders I have created all take place outside of the work hours. I currently don't have many during the work day strategies, as suggested in points 2 and 3. Moving forward, I will try to implement more of the second suggestion to give myself more energy breaks during the actual work day. Currently, my office space is located behind the front desk at our Community Center. While this gives me a lot of access to students, it can also be something that drains a lot of my extroverted energy for the day as I constantly hear student conversations or get asked questions by the student working the desk. This upcoming year, I plan to keep my office door closed during some hours of the day, such as when I am working on projects, in order to give myself a break from what can eat up a lot of my energy.
by L. Svendsen, University of Southern Indiana
Wednesday, June 27, 2018
Week 1 (Part I): June 6th 6 K. Johnson, University of Indianapolis The question asked after the self-rating exercise is "How do you confirm if you are correct in your self-rating". For me, that is the most difficult and telling part of the exercise - you have to find individuals who you trust that are respected on your campus and/or are respected within the field to bounce your ideas off of. Their response will help you confirm those ideas. Many times your boss or your subordinates will not have the unique knowledge visible only for your perch to be able to assess the data; more so, the data inputs they have may be fighting against the information.
by D. Schraeder, University of Illinois Springfield
Friday, June 15, 2018
Introductions 12 K. Johnson, University of Indianapolis Good afternoon - I'm Brian Conner and I am our Assistant Director of Residence Life at the University of Evansville where I have been working since 2002. I hope to gain better sense of leading groups of various mindsets in both a supervisory and advisory role. A few fun facts about me - I have been here at UE since 1998 and involves in residence life as a student and professional and received both my undergraduate and graduate degress from UE; and I still have not found my way off campus (haha). I also have a love for old VWs.
by B. Conner, University of Evansville
Thursday, June 14, 2018