GLACUHO News
Calendar

7/2/2019
Managing an Infectious Disease Outbreak on a College Campus

2016 Book Club: Start with Why
Page 1 of 1
Forum Actions

Topics   Replies Author Latest Post
Start With Why- Q11 2 K. Hagerty, Sigma Tau Gamma Fraternity That seems like a WHY to me, Joseph!
by M. Chou, Ferris State University
Wednesday, June 15, 2016
Start With Why- Q10 2 K. Hagerty, Sigma Tau Gamma Fraternity I agree. Without a clear WHY, we may get students who live on campus because they just want to or because they are part of the small percentage who just "get it" but after time, we won't have many customers left. I think we can use this concept to help us market our departments and institutions. XYZ State institution not far away offers these things, but we offer these things and we do that because *fill in the blank*. The blank could be our mission/vision or we could be more specific and say things like, "We see the value in educating outside of the classroom so we hold programming for residents." and "We want students to focus on their academic and social lives so we make fixing maintenance issues easy for them." Still amenities we may offer, but from a different angle than I'm used to seeing them and I absolutely think this resonates with people differently than telling them we do programs and work orders. I am honestly so excited to see how I can implement this concept into my work!
Wednesday, June 15, 2016
Start With Why- Q12 1 K. Hagerty, Sigma Tau Gamma Fraternity To my best understanding of what a why would look like I would said my why is the desire to make myself and those around me into better versions of themselves. My only reluctance is if that is actually a why or if that is still a what and how philosophical do I need to be. Sure Apple's is real short "think differently" or "challenge the status quo", but those ideas are also fairly complex. I also feel this requires the ability to convert emotion into words and I'm not much of an emotional person.
by J. Binkley, University of Southern Indiana
Wednesday, June 15, 2016
Start With Why- Q8 3 K. Hagerty, Sigma Tau Gamma Fraternity The why is a huge part of building a team! I do think it is interesting from an HR standpoint that Sinek suggests hiring people who "believe what you believe"-- sounds risky in some aspects, but the general sense of finding those core values is a good thing. One quote that I enjoyed reading but may struggle with was "When employees belong, they guarantee your success. And they won’t be working hard and looking forinnovative solutions for you, they will be doing it for themselves. " I support this idea, but I can struggle with the idea of coaching someone out due to a lack of fit. Many professionals are self-aware and know when belonging has been achieved or not, but others continue to struggle.
by S. Hart, Western Illinois University
Wednesday, June 15, 2016
Start With Why- Q7 2 K. Hagerty, Sigma Tau Gamma Fraternity I agree! I also think it is an interesting concept that according to Sinek, "Value, by definition, is the transference of trust. You can’t convince someone you have value, just as you can’t convince someone to trust you. You have to earn trust by communicating and demonstrating that you share the same values and beliefs." This made me think of times that team members in organization have struggled to trust me or the department I am representing and I think it really does come down to communicating what I/my organization values and looking for common ground to build that upon.
Wednesday, June 15, 2016
Start With Why- Q9 1 K. Hagerty, Sigma Tau Gamma Fraternity Thinking back the law of diffusion definitely seems to take place and I think the TiVo example really hit the idea home for me. Another I can think of are the smart watches. Great ideas, but I've only seen those who are really into the idea and the possibility of what they could be own them. It got me thinking about what possible examples there are in Housing or even in student affairs in general. I've been part of schools that see the innovators and early adopters making significant and impactful changes to their policy or approach, but my institution is too afraid or hesitant, usually for good reason, to make a similar change. I notices this usually has to do with either the politics of the institution or the culture of the community.
by J. Binkley, University of Southern Indiana
Wednesday, June 15, 2016
Start With Why- Q2 5 K. Hagerty, Sigma Tau Gamma Fraternity Our values really shape who we are, the decisions we make, etc...so the Golden Circle seems pretty common sense; however I think we get so upside down because we do not always want to do that reflective and internal work of understanding our values and being transparent about them. It is so much easier and safer to rely on external factors to guide our decisions. I know when we approach our job searches, many people are looking for that "fit"...a place that they can connect with in regards to values, mission, and vision. Once we find that fit though, I think we get so lost in the hustle and bustle of work that we lose sight of Keeping our why at the forefront. It takes time to discuss our why, fine tune it, revisit it, and when other things seem so pressing and immediate, that internal work is always the first to go. I think we have to rediscover the value of why it is important to keep the conversation about "the why" a priority and how it guides everything that we do.
by B. Cole, Northern Illinois University
Sunday, June 12, 2016
Start With Why- Q1 6 K. Hagerty, Sigma Tau Gamma Fraternity I definitely found myself nodding along when reading this chapter and reflecting on how I make decisions about things to buy. Similar to discussed I thought about how this plays out in our work with students and just my professional life in general. I felt like this idea that there are alternatives to inspire beyond manipulation seems common sense, but that in so many aspects of life we rely on manipulation because it is the easy way out and doesn't require us to reflect, be transparent, and be honest.
by B. Cole, Northern Illinois University
Sunday, June 12, 2016
Start With Why- Q4 3 K. Hagerty, Sigma Tau Gamma Fraternity The quote that spoke most to me in regards to this concept was, "we are drawn to leaders and organizations that are good at communicating what they believe.  Their ability to make us feel like we belong, to make us feel special, safe and not alone is  part of what gives them the ability to inspire us" (p. 55).  I never viewed inspiration and leadership from this standpoint before, but Sinek's rationale makes sense.  Sarah, I appreciate your reference to Maslow's hierarchy of needs because I believe that compliments the biological concepts Sinek is discussing and our work as residence life professionals. 
by A. Lillie, Miami University
Saturday, June 11, 2016
Start With Why- Q3 4 K. Hagerty, Sigma Tau Gamma Fraternity As an avid Apple user, I could relate to what Sinek was saying about the company and the reason starting with “why” is so important. Last year our department separated from University Housing and now we are solely the Office of Residence Life. This brings many exciting opportunities for our department including getting to create a new Mission/Vision statement. Reading “Starting With Why” has helped me put that process into perspective and has given me a lot to think about since I am on that committee. I definitely plan to bring some of the points from the book into those conversations. On the other side of that, while the committee is working on drafting the Mission/Vision, the absence of one can at times make consistency and clarity difficult. I could definitely notice a difference in tone for the Apple “What” and “Why” messages. As a consumer, one of the many reasons I am loyal to Apple and continue purchasing their products is because I know the quality I am getting. Their Why is unwavering and that appeals to me. I might not be getting the fanciest phone on the market, but I personally enjoy the simplicity of their design. My what is that I work for the Office of Residence Life as a Second-Year Coordinator. I supervise a complex of 4 residence halls, 12 RA’s, and 1 GA. I am also a member of our summer and fall RA training committees. At the end of the day, my goal is to provide students with a safe and comfortable living environment where they feel included and a sense of excitement for being a part of the community.
by L. Riegger, Case Western Reserve University
Tuesday, June 7, 2016
Start With Why- Q6 3 K. Hagerty, Sigma Tau Gamma Fraternity I absolutely adore this concept and I find it fascinating. As I read this particularly part of the book, I kept thinking of how to apply it to the things we do now. For example, during recruitment and selection for student staff, instead of advertising: you get room and board, you get to help people (always so generic, I know, but that's what our students say in their interviews), you get to list it on a resume so be an RA!, I wonder what the outcome/pool would look like if we said: are you the kind of person who enjoys helping others, do you like to mentor, are you interested in learning and practicing skills such as problem solving and crisis management? Well then we have the job for you! I'm really inspired to take a serious look at how I can implement the Golden Circle concept and concept of people buying into the Why into my work this year.
Thursday, June 2, 2016
Start With Why- Q5 2 K. Hagerty, Sigma Tau Gamma Fraternity Clarity and consistency play a role into the culture of an organization and can create a strong team if used correctly (and in the right order) to express the why for the team. This translates to higher education in a few ways, the most important being a consistent message for students and families regarding the "why" of the institution. In the reading, it is mentioned that "when the why, how, and what are in balanced together, authenticity is achieved and the buyer feels fulfilled. When they are out of balance, stress or uncertainty exists." I think of times that departments on campus become "silo-ed" and the stress and uncertainty that causes employees, students, and families. By keeping the "why" in focus and presenting a consistent and united message, we can alleviate a lot of challenges within campus systems for a variety of stakeholders.
Wednesday, June 1, 2016