4/12/2019
Spring 2019 Ohio Housing Officers (OHO) meeting

Week 3 (Part III): June 20th
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

6/20/2018 at 2:18:21 PM GMT
Week 3 (Part III): June 20th

1.     Many times we find ourselves setting goals for ourselves, but from the book we learned how to set goals that are compelling. What is a professional goal you have set for yourself? What are you doing currently to work towards that goal, and what is something you could adapt to make it compelling?

2.     Reflect on the expectations you set for yourself and you set for your staff. How do you keep yourself accountable, as well as how do you keep your staff accountable for expectations of excellence?

3.     Tell about a time that you were allowed the opportunity to build upon your skills to meet a high bar of excellence. How did it increase your skill sets or improve the work you do? (Perhaps it was a mentor opportunity, a training, clear role modeling, etc.)

4.     What was the biggest take-away you took from Part III, and how do you plan to integrate it into your workplace?

6/20/2018 at 9:38:34 PM GMT
4. The biggest take away was on page 143- Recognize Results, Not Sweat. Especially when working on projects or larger programs, it can become easy to pay attention to those who have fires and are working on a solution to them. They are usually the ones who are making more of the noise and need more of the support from their supervisor to get their task accomplished. I found myself this past year as a supervisor sometimes falling into this pit of praising how one of my staff members put out a "fire" but not recognizing those who didn't have a fire to put out in the first place because of the time they took to plan out their section of the program. However, once the "fire" was put out, I did review with that staff member ways to not have the same "fire" occur in the future. Yet, after reading this chapter, I realize I could have used that opportunity to praise my staff members who were able to avoid the "fires" and give them the opportunity to speak to their peers about how they were successful in their roles.
The other takeaway for me was p. 141, The Rock an Roll Rhythm That Drives Organizations. I am very much a planner, have discipline in my top five strengths, and a firm "J" for my Myers-Briggs. Because of these in my working style, I find myself reflecting on how similar all of my staff meetings were. While I would vary which icebreaker was done at the beginning of each staff meeting, everything else remained the same. Reflecting on this, I am wondering if my RAs felt a bit like the book suggested: feeling like their time had been wasted and they couldn't get it back. This upcoming year, I hope to change up my staff meetings a bit more by having 3 kind of templates to build my staff meeting agendas off of in order to allow for some variation. This will still allow me to use the strengths that I have while also giving some variation to hopefully create a good rhythm for my staff.

6/21/2018 at 4:17:48 PM GMT
I am part of a divisional retreat planning team, and I actually sent the rest of the team pages 118-124! We are much like the team in the book where we have many staff members that have been here for a long time, and we need to have something compelling and new to strive for.

I was really taken a back by the analogy of the carpenters doing what was asked of them. As I have been working with our staff and my family, I have been asking what is a reasonable expectation for completion rather than when they could start on the project. Setting benchmarks has also been something I've always found valuable so that while there is an end goal in mind there are checkpoints along the way to make sure we are on the path to that goal or can change the goal and/or timeline as new information and competing priorities have come up.

As for accountability in my own work, I have found it important to identify a group of peers within or outside of my department that expect as much from me (or more) than I do myself. Having someone check in on me and provide feedback and encouragement has allowed me to feel value in my work and as a procrastinator has held me to the benchmarks I've set.

Daniel A. Schraeder
Assistant Director of Residence Life & Education
Department of Residence Life
University of Illinois Springfield
(217) 206-7266
dschr3@uis.edu

6/29/2018 at 1:25:35 AM GMT
I expect the author did not have too much experience working with contractors. While there could have been better communication from the carpenters on what their overall estimated time frame might be, they kept answering his question, when can you start? Tomorrow. He did not ask them until later in greater detail about their time frame for the whole project. Also, the work was carpentry, not plumbing or HVAC or refrigerator repair or pest removal, all of which need to be done sooner rather than later. Those folks are used to showing up within a couple of day's notice, especially plumbers. It did not sound like the carpentry was an emergency so the author should have worked with the contractor to arrange a time with several week's notice so the work could be planned more appropriately.

7/3/2018 at 5:23:38 AM GMT
4. The entire 6th chapter es\\s helping me get my life! I am working with a difficult staff member and a lot of the steps that Alison took in this chapter were helping me to see what I did right and what I need to improve upon. I can see situations that I have been through with a staff member and how I took a step or thought about that step a little too late, in the moment but didn't do it because I thought it might be too much or was right on the money but may have been to much to say/do in an intense moment. I think that Alison coached Hank a lot to get him where he needed to go to be successful. I am working to figure out how these steps will be useful in my next year.

The start of chapter 7 starts talking about moving or improving and funny enough before I started chapter 7 (as I finished chapter 6) I was thinking about how this very idea factored into how Alison was coaching Hank. This entire section will be so key to keep in mind for me as a supervisor and I am trying to determine how to keep these thoughts at the forefront of my mind for continued use, not just during evaluation/performance review season