Overview of the Contemporary Issue Committee and Topics
The Contemporary Issues Committee was created in order to address a relevant topic within Housing and Residence Life for the duration of a one year period. The topic changes from year-to-year depending on the needs of the organization, and a committee chair is appointed based on his or her expertise or involvement with the selected topic. The commtitee was established in 2009 and had the first committee cycle during the 2010 Annual Conference year.
Previous topics have included:
2010 - Student Retention
2011 - Student Conduct
2012 - Recruitment and Retention of Professionals of Color
2013 - Student Leadership Organizations and Advising
Resources from current, as well as past, topics may be found on the right side menu of this page.
The topic for each year's committee is selected as follows:
2013 Contemporary Issues Committee
The Great Lakes Association of College and University Housing Officers Contemporary Issues Committee is proud to focus on Student Leadership Organizations and Advising for 2012-2013. The Contemporary Issues committee will focus on the integral part student leaders play within our departments, and the role of advisors for these students and organizations.
Contemporary Issues Committee Goals:
- Develop GLACUHO membership's understanding of the sub regional, regional, and national student leadership organizations found within our field and region
- Enhance virtual resources for current and future advisors of residential leadership programs
- Utilize the case study competition as a resource for participants as well as the general membership of GLACUHO
2013 Committee Members
C. Lovey Marshall
Connie Kasper Brophy
Curtis J. Clark
Mathias J. Koller
Learning Outcomes for Committee Members
Members of the Contemporary Issues committee will…
- Identify skill-based competencies integral to the development of professionals of various levels in the association.
- Contribute to the creation of tangible resources that are widely available and accessible that will enhance professional experience within the association.
- Develop assessment tools and produce research to further the development of professionals.
Collaborate with professionals from a variety of institutions and backgrounds, furthering their own professional understanding.