About GLACUHO's PDI
Started in 2009, the Professional Development Institute (PDI) is an intentional professional development seminar featuring a range of activities for professionals with 3 to 5 years full-time experience. These intense workshops will be administered by faculty, who are seasoned professionals in the field of Student Affairs. Over the years, over 150 professionals have participated in the seminar and it has expanded from 2 days to 3 days.
Activities during the Institute are designed to allow time for informal interactions in addition to the scheduled sessions. To offer the appropriate mentoring environment, only 20 participants will be accepted. Participants will be placed into small groups and assigned a faculty member who will provide individual advice, support and suggestions for future professional growth, involvements and activities.
PDI is generously sponsored by Southwest Contract.
The 2017 Professional Development Institute will take place February 10-12. 2017.
Participants engaged in PDI will:
- Develop skills and perspectives needed to progress in the field of Student Affairs;
- Receive guidance in mapping out short- and long-term career goals;
- Connect with faculty who are veteran professionals in residence life and related fields;
- Provide one-on-one and small-group mentoring time;
- Create an environment conducive to making connections with other professionals, providing support and the foundations for lasting collegial relationships.
At PDI participants will attend sessions facilitated by veteran professionals in housing/residence life and student affairs and gain valuable, practical information about surviving and thriving at the next level.
Topics for PDI will vary from year-to-year depending on the expertise of the selected faculty members. However, in general, all topics are relevant to professionals at this point in their careers.
Some examples of past featured topics:
- Conflict Management
- Crisis Management
- Decision Making
- Organization Culture
- Politics of Higher Ed
- Facilities Management
This Year's PDI Faculty and Topics
There was a great deal of interest and a strong pool of candidates for the 2017 PDI faculty positions, which shows just how dedicated GLACUHO's professionals are to sharing knowledge and mentoring others. The faculty for the 2017 PDI are:
- Mackenzie Fritz, Associate Director of Residence Education and Housing Services, Michigan State University
- Leading & Thriving in a Culture of Constant Change
- Carl Krieger, Director of Residence Life, Purdue University
- Maximizing Faculty Partnerships
- Stacy Oliver-Sikorski, Senior Associate Director of Residence Life, Lake Forest College
- Housing Operations: More Than Heads in Beds
- Michael Schultz, Director of University Housing, Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville
- Janielle Tchakerian, Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs, Saint Mary's College, Notre Dame, Indiana
- Assessment in Action: Enhancing Student Affairs Effectiveness
Please thank and congratulate these individuals for volunteering their time to help develop other housing professionals!
How To Apply